Friday, June 4, 2010

Quick and Simple Chili




During the fall and winter months we have chili and cornbread a lot. It's a very simple and hearty meal to make, and the boys generally like it. I have played around with this recipe a lot over the years. The basic recipe has always been the same, but I have added different ingredients from time to time. I like to at least double the recipe so I can freeze half for later. Corn bread is a must with this recipe- a classic favorite is the Jiffy brand corn bread mix, although we also really like the Trader Joe's cornbread mix. One of these days I'll try to make my own!

Chili
1 lb ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can Hunt's fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained (light red also work, I like the look of the dark better!)
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
Shredded cheese


Brown ground beef in a large pot. Drain fat. Add about 1/2 cup of water and place pot back on the stove. Add taco seasoning, tomatoes, beans celery, and corn. Cover pot and simmer on low for 30-60 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with shredded cheese and serve with a generous portion of corn bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment