Friday, June 4, 2010

My Favorite Waffle Recipe




So, I will be the first to admit that while it is nice to be able to make things from scratch, there are certain things that I have stopped attempting to make because it never tastes as good as what you can buy in a store. Lasagna is probably my biggest example because I cannot beat Michaelangelo's or Costco's brand, but waffle mix is another one of those things. I love the Krusteaz Waffle Mix. However, a few years ago, I came across a problem. Our family was rapidly expanding and the little boxes that I was buying at the grocery store weren't going very far. So, we started to buy the bulk bag from Costco or Cash 'n Carry (a bulk grocery store in our area that caters mainly to businesses). When I first made waffles using the mix from the bulk bag, I realized instantly that they didn't taste the same as the mix in the box that I was use to. I can't even begin to say how disappointed I was by this, and went back to buying the box. However, very soon it became apparent to me that the recipe on the bulk bag was different from the smaller box. I wondered if the bulk mix was made differently from the box, but after comparing their ingredients side by side, I realized it was the exact same mix, only Krusteaz was omitting two ingredients in the recipe on the bulk mix. So, I started adding oil and eggs to my bulk mix, and the waffles came out perfectly. So, for anyone who is interested, this is the CORRECT way to make a Krusteez waffle (you know, just in case you buy the bulk mix, too, and it doesn't turn out that yummy!)



Krusteaz Waffles
For 2-3 7-inch Round Waffles:
1 1/2 cups Krusteaz Belgian Waffle Mix
1 Egg
3 Tbsp. Oil
3/4 cup Water

For 4-5 Waffles:
3 cups Waffle Mix
2 Eggs
1/3 cup Oil
1 1/2 cups Water

for 8-10 Waffles:
6 cups Waffle Mix
4 Eggs
2/3 cup Oil
3 cups Water


Preheat and lightly grease waffle iron. Blend all ingredients together with a wire whip until smooth. Pour about 2/3 cup batter onto preheated and lightly greased waffle iron. Cook waffles 3-4 minutes until golden brown, or according to waffle iron's instructions. Serve hot! We like to serve waffles with whipped cream and fresh sliced strawberries on top. It's a Flanagan favorite :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! SOOOOO good to know! Waffles are our Sunday night dinner staple.I love buying the mixes too. :-)

    ReplyDelete